2.20.2014

A Bvlgari Day

Jacket: Zara // Blouse, Skirt, Scarf, Sunglasses: H&M // Boots: Dolce Vita // Bag: Old Navy // Jewelries: Banana Republic, Mango

This past weekend, I went to see Bvlgari at the De Young Museum. I am glad I finally made it on the last day of the exhibit. I wore my graphic print jacket as I thought I'd dress appropriately artsy for my museum visit. And of course, my boots for loads of walking and browsing.

Bvlgari to me is more than just glamour. It's about heritage and also modernity. Although I love their traditional collections (for example their gold, emerald and diamond necklace), I find utmost delight in their use of multi colored precious stones. To me, it's innovative, bold and daring. At the exhibit, I came to learn that they were the first ones who introduced the new way of combining multiple colors of precious stones such as ruby, sapphires, emerald, cabochon, amethyst and lapis. The traditional way of the time was to mix single color precious stone with diamond. Today, multi colored jewels are still being sought out and remain as stylish as ever.

Here are some of my favorites:

1970s were a quite the time of innovation for them. This was when they broke away from the traditional precious stones and diamonds. They incorporated oriental influences into sautoirs which perfectly complimented long tunics and maxi dresses of the 70s. Sautoirs were also their way of venturing out from formal evening jewelry to more casual jewelry. As a tribute to their Italian heritage, they also designed the Monete collection where they incorporate ancient Roman coins into their jewelries.


Noone can talk about Bvlgari without its glamorous past. The late Elizabeth Taylor was a famous loyal customer to Bvlgari. As a part of an effort to win her heart, Richard Burton gave her several Bvlgari pieces. And, of course, the great Italian stars: Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida and Monica Vitti.


Today, I am quite sure you're well aware that Bvlgari remains iconic.  Here are some of my favorites of Bvlgari in today's time. Clockwise: Jessica Biel, Carla Bruni (who is currently the face of Bvlgari), Jessica Biel, Kiera Knightley, Julianne Moore and  Jessica Chastain.


If you haven't yet gone to a Bvlgari exhibit, I'd highly recommend it. The jewels are breathtaking. It's one thing for me to talk about it here, or to look at the pictures. But, nothing replaces the experience of seeing them in person, or let alone learning about Bvlgari's history and all the wonderful stories from women - either famous or infamous - who own or collect Bvlgari. Like what the Italians say "La Dolce Vita". Or shall we say "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...